Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
Admissions Home #FutureCoug
WSU Transfer Your Credits

Transfer course equivalency

Use the Transfer Course Search Tool to see how your courses match up with WSU equivalencies and find out which courses you should be taking to meet your future WSU requirements. You can access your transfer credit report in your myWSU.

If your transfer courses were taken on a quarterly system, you’ll need to convert them to semester credits to see how your credit hours match WSU requirements. Simply multiply your quarter credit hours by .67 to determine how many semester credits you’ll receive. Using this equation, 5 quarter credits would convert to 3.35 semester credits.

Transferable degrees

Depending on the degree and the college, you may be able to get an associate’s degree and transfer with credit for the WSU general education (UCORE) requirements. Some two-year degrees can transfer directly into junior standing at WSU.

We have transfer articulation agreements for associate’s degrees earned from accredited public colleges in Washington, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, and Oregon. Generally, two-year degrees from states other than these will transfer on a course-by-course basis.

Click here for more on transferring an associate’s degree.

“Washington 45” transfer courses

The Washington 45 list makes it easier to complete and transfer university common requirements (UCORE) form school to school in the state of Washington. A student must have a minimum grade of a C or better in each course to be given transfer credit for the work and must also meet WSU’s admissions requirements to be admitted. See the Washington Council for High School-College Relations for more information about the agreement.

Here is a list of transferable courses based on common education categories and the number of credit required in that category. The specific course may vary based on your school’s curriculum.

  • Communications (5 credits) — ENGL& 101 or ENGL& 102
  • Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (5 credits) — MATH& 107, MATH& 148, or MATH& 151
  • Humanities (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) — PHIL& 101, MUSC& 105, DRMA& 101, ENGL& 111, or HUM& 101- For colleges where history fulfills humanities requirements: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, or HIST& 148
  • Social Science (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) — PSYC& 100, SOC& 101, POLS& 101, or POLS& 202 For colleges where history fulfills social science requirements: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, or HIST& 148
  • Natural Sciences (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) — BIOL& 100, BIOL& 160 with lab, ASTR& 100, ASTR& 101 with lab, CHEM& 105, CHEM& 110 with lab, CHEM& 121 with lab, CHEM& 161, CHEM& 162, ENVS& 100, ENVS& 101, PHYS& 121, GEOL& 101 with lab
  • 5 additional credits in a different discipline can be taken from any category listed above.

Business, engineering, and architecture

Our programs in business, engineering, and architecture require specific prerequisite courses for admission into the major. See how your transfer work matches the prerequisites and plan ahead:

*For other academic programs we recommend contacting the department directly to learn about additional recommendations for transfer students. Department contact information can be found here.

AP, IB, and CLEP credit

WSU accepts transfer credit for qualifying scores on Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and CLEP exams. Review our exam score tables and make sure to send records of your exams as part of your application.

Running Start

Running Start credit (or any other college credit earned in high school) will transfer in the same way as any college course — just have the college that offered the course send WSU an official transcript when it becomes available.

Transfer Credit Reports

There is a ‘key’ below to understanding the Transfer Credit Report (TCR).

You can also contact a WSU admission counselor.

How to Read Your Transfer Credit Report