Transferring an Associate Degree

How to transfer degrees to WSU

We partner with two-year colleges to create transfer associate “pathways” that include the prerequisites you’ll need to qualify for your major at WSU. Be sure to check the requirements for your intended major at WSU before you transfer and check the WSU Catalog for any requirements you will need.

How your degree meets WSU requirements

Here’s a quick look at how most WA community college transfer degrees will translate to WSU’s UCORE requirements.

If you have
You need
An associate of arts (DTA)

Integrative Capstone course [CAPS]*

An associate of science - transfer (AST)
  • Roots of Contemporary Issues course [ROOT]
  • A second course in [COMM] or [WRTG]
  • Diversity course [DIVR]
  • Integrative Capstone [CAPS]*

Any other transferable associate degree

Transfer courses evaluated on a course-by-course basis

There are three types of Transfer Degrees for Washington:

  1. Direct transfer agreement (DTA) associate degree
    If you’ve completed a direct transfer agreement (DTA) associate degree that incorporates general education requirements similar to WSU’s, you’ll get credit for the University’s lower-division University Common Requirements (UCORE) and will generally be given junior standing. Find more information on DTA major-related program pathways at the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges website.
    If you have an associate of arts (DTA) you will need an Integrative Capstone course, which can only be completed at WSU.
  2. Associate of science transfer (AS-T) degree (Tracks I and II)
    If you have an associate of science transfer (AS-T) degree, you’ll generally be given junior standing when you transfer to WSU. However, the AS-T degree may not fulfill all WSU’s University Common Requirements (UCORE). Find more information on AS-T major-related program pathways at the Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges.
    Be sure to check the requirements for your intended major at WSU during the year before you transfer. Contact the department you’ll be majoring in and check the WSU Catalog for the requirements you’ll need to meet to graduate from WSU.
    If you have an associate of science – transfer (AST) you will need a Roots of Contemporary Issues course [ROOT], a second course in [COMM] or [WRTG], a diversity course [DIVR], and a Integrative Capstone [CAPS].
  3. Associate of applied science transfer (AAS-T) degree
    If you have an associate of applied science transfer (AAS-T) degree, your credit will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. This degree doesn’t fulfill the WSU University Common Requirements (UCORE) and doesn’t guarantee junior standing. If the equivalents weren’t completed while earning the AAS-T degree, you’ll need to finish those requirements after transferring to WSU.
    The Intercollege Relations Commission (ICRC) handbook contains statewide standards for transferable degrees and courses; see page 21 of their PDF for a list of Washington community colleges that offer direct transfer associate degrees.