Information for Undocumented Students

WSU is Here for You

As a land-grant institution, we proudly subscribe to the overarching principle that higher education should be accessible to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.

Put more simply, undocumented applicants to WSU will be considered for admission on the same basis as a U.S. citizen or any other applicant.

How to Apply to WSU

Undocumented students are encouraged to apply for admission to Washington State University using the standard process—with just a few specific instructions below.

As an undocumented student:

  • Citizenship, legal permanent residency, or financial status will not affect your admission to WSU.
  • You are not considered an international applicant.
  • If only certain members of your family are documented, please contact us so we can help you with the application.

Application Instructions
When completing the “Citizenship” section of the admission application, follow these guidelines:

  • Country of Citizenship: Select the country where you have citizenship (this will not be the United States)
  • Country of Birth: Select the country where you were born
  • Country of Legal Permanent Residency*: Select the country where you have legal Permanent Residency (this will not be the United States)
  • Will you be attending Washington State University on an immigrant or non-immigrant visa? Select No for this answer.
  • Visa information: Please do not enter visa information or date. This is for international applicant only.
  • Once you finish the “Citizenship” section, continue your application as you normally would.

Financing Your WSU Education

We can help you figure out how to pay for your education. Student Financial Services has many resources specifically for you as an undocumented student.

In-State Tuition Rates

If you have lived in the state of Washington for at least one year and earned a diploma or GED from anywhere in the United States, you may qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Senate bill 5194 makes it possible for students to complete this residency affidavit* (ra) to obtain resident tuition.

Students with DACA status—expired or unexpired—who have lived in Washington state for at least one year (for reasons other than education) prior to enrolling in college are also eligible to apply for traditional residency or use the residency affidavit*.

Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)

If you are an undocumented student, one of the most important steps is to complete a WASFA every year. This application will enable you to be considered for the Washington College Grant and for aid awarded by WSU. The WASFA also includes your Washington State Higher Education Residency Affidavit. You can submit the WASFA application anytime during the application process.

A new WASFA opens each year on October 1. Please make sure you complete the form for the correct year. If you have questions about WASFA, please email a WSU representative at

 *The residency affidavit does not ask questions about citizenship though we recommend that f1/j1 students discuss their options with an international programs counselor prior to completing the ra as it can have future immigration implications.

Resources for Undocumented Student Cougs

Our Division of Student Affairs offers resources for undocumented students, including case management, one-on-one counseling, and immigration consultations.