WSU welcomes National Merit scholars
You're eligible for this scholarship if you're identified as a semifinalist by the National Merit Corporation and you're admitted to WSU Pullman.
Full tuition for up to four years
For Washington residents, the award value is more than $45,000 total (based on current in-state tuition rates for 2014-15).*
For students from outside Washington state, the award value is approximately $100,000 total (based on current non-resident tuition rates for 2014-15).*
* Check out important details about National Merit awards at the bottom of the page.
Your next steps:
- Apply for admission by January 31
- List WSU as your first choice institution by May 1.
- Make yourself eligible for even more awards and resources
Completing the following applications will make you eligible for additional resources through Washington State University.
- Complete the WSU scholarship application by January 31. It's a simple application, and it'll let WSU consider you for more than 700 scholarship programs.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). We use the FAFSA to see if you're eligible for grants, work-study, and student loans. It also affects how we award need-based scholarships. Fill out the application between January 1 and February 15.
Important scholarship details
- You must enroll at WSU in the fall semester following your high school graduation in order to take advantage of this scholarship.
- Tuition awards valid for up to 18 credit hours per semester.
- Recipients of a National Merit Corporate Sponsored award will have the amount of their scholarship reduced by the amount of the corporate award, so that it will not exceed the amount of tuition.
- This scholarship could be the first of many scholarships that you benefit from. However, the National Merit Scholarship cannot be combined with a Regents Scholar award, the University Achievement Award, the Cougar Academic Award or the Visitation Award at WSU.
- Students admitted into the Pharmacy and Veterinary medicine professional programs, and transfer students, are not eligible for this award or for renewal.
To renew for all four years, you need to:
- Maintain a 3.20 WSU cumulative grade point average.
- Complete 24 graded credit hours per academic year (fall/spring semesters only).
- Remain enrolled full-time on the Pullman campus.
- In some circumstances, you may be able to retain your scholarship after leaving the University; check WSU readmission requirements. You must request a scholarship deferment from the Office of Scholarship Services prior to your enrollment discontinuation.