Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Admissions questions

Answers to questions about requirements, applications, and more.

What majors are available at WSU?
Washington State University offers more than 200 fields of study that can contribute to majors, minors, or courses of study. At last count, there were more than 85 undergraduate majors possible at WSU.
What do I need to be admitted?
That depends on whether you are a freshman coming from high school, a transfer student, an international student, or a graduate student. See the Applications section for the requirements that fit you. If your questions aren’t answered there, you contact your admissions counselor for advice and info.
What is the application deadline?
For application deadlines and a full list of important dates, see the dates and deadlines page. All deadlines are “postmarked by” dates (not received-by dates).
Do I have to be accepted to WSU before I can apply for a scholarship?
No. Apply for scholarships at the same time you apply for admission to the University. (Or after, if you like–just be sure to apply before the deadline.) You will need a WSU ID number in order to access the scholarship application form; your WSU ID will automatically be emailed to you when you submit your admission application.
What address should I send transcripts to?
Please send transcripts (and all other mailable application materials) to:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Lighty 370
Washington State University
PO Box 641067
Pullman, WA 99164-1067
How do I know if you received my transcripts?
The Office of Admissions will mail you a letter notifying you if your application is incomplete.You can also check the status of your application online if you’ve created your myWSU ID. Instructions on how to navigate myWSU can be found at
If I have a 2.5 transfer GPA, does that mean that I’m automatically admitted?
No. Admission is based on your academic record and performance, and also depends on available space.
Do you need transcripts from every school I’ve attended?
Yes. Request every school you’ve attended (high school or college) to send a final official transcript to WSU, no matter when you last attended.
Why does WSU require a final official transcript?
We use the final transcript to verify the last term you attended school and ensure that we’ve given you all the credit that’s available to you.In addition, the transcript shows your GPA at that school and helps establish your academic eligibility to transfer to WSU.
How do I know when you’ve received my application?
  • When you submit your application, we’ll automatically send you a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of your application. The email also gives you a WSU Student ID number (which you’ll need if you fill out a scholarship application) and a confirmation number for the application fee charged to your credit card.
  • If you applied by mail, you’ll receive a letter from the admissions office acknowledging receipt of your application, usually within a week to ten days.
How do I qualify for financial aid?
To see if you qualify for financial aid, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15.All colleges use the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for financial aid. Completing the FAFSA will help you get state and federal aid, and will help WSU consider you for additional aid — for instance, some scholarships consider financial need among their award criteria.Complete both the WSU scholarship application and the FAFSA to ensure that you’re considered for the maximum amount of financial assistance. More about financial aid and the FAFSA

Returning student questions

If you attended WSU before and want to come back, find your answers in our page for students returning to WSU.

Do I really need to reapply for admission?
If it has been at least two consecutive semesters since you attended WSU, you will need to reapply. You can access the online application, and will be required to provide official transcripts from all of the colleges you have attended since leaving WSU.
Can I finish my WSU degree without returning to campus?
Yes, that is possible. If the courses you need to graduate are offered through WSU’s Global Campus, and if you have earned at least 27 total college credits, you can complete your WSU degree online.If you certified the major you want to finish, contact the academic department to determine the classes you need. If you haven’t certified the major you want, contact the University College to see what general education requirements and major prerequisites you need. When you’ve determined what courses you need, contact the Global Campus to verify that they’re available, and then apply through the Global Campus program.
If I decide to change majors, how do I get an advisor in my new major?
If your field of study has changed since you left WSU, contact the Center for Advising and Career Development (CACD). They’ll advise you on general education/University common requirements and major prerequisites.
What happens if I have transfer credits?
Once we’ve received your application and official transcripts from all colleges you have attended, the Office of Admissions will make an admission decision. The Office of Admission will also determine the total number of transferable college credits, your cumulative grade point average in the transferable work, and which University common requirements (UCORE) you have completed. Courses that are applicable to your major will be evaluated after you enroll at WSU, by the department you plan to major in.
Can I see how my credits will transfer before I apply?
Yes. You can see the WSU equivalents of individual transfer courses using the transfer course equivalency website.
What about the credits I earned when I was at WSU before?
The previous credits you earned as a WSU student will always be a part of your permanent student record, and don’t need to be evaluated as transfer credit.
Will I have to redo requirements that have changed since I left WSU?
Perhaps — but not usually. General education requirements/University common requirements (UCORE) are based on the date the you first enrolled in college after high school graduation, so your previous general education/UCORE coursework should still apply.If the requirements for your major have changed since you left WSU, you may need to meet the new requirements; contact the department you’re going to major in to see if this is the case.
Can I get academic credit for work experience?
Generally, no. Work experience or internships only qualify for academic credit if they’re arranged through an academic department as part of your WSU studies.
Do I need to do the Writing Portfolio?
If you started at WSU during fall semester 1991 or later, you’ll need to complete the writing portfolio requirement.
More about the writing portfolio
Do I have to be on campus to complete my Writing Portfolio?
No. If you’re finishing your degree through WSU’s Global Campus, your advisor can help ensure that you get the writing-in-the-major courses you need, and the portfolio can be submitted electronically.
Can I get scholarships and financial aid?
Yes. See Scholarships & Finances on this site for info. You can also call the WSU financial aid office at 509-335-9711 with questions.
I need a job at WSU. Where can I find one?
Start your search with JobX, the student employment and temporary employment website. The Daily Evergreen, WSU’s student newspaper, also posts employment opportunities.

Assured admission program FAQ

If you’ll be applying for freshman admission and you’re in the top 10% of your graduating class or have a 3.5 GPA (or better), here are some answers about the University’s assured admission program.

Also see the assured admission program web page.

Is the 3.5 GPA based on a weighted or unweighted calculation?
WSU uses the cumulative unweighted GPA, based on a 4.0 scale.
Do I still have to apply for admission?
Yes. We need a complete application before we can offer admission.A complete application includes the application form, an official high school transcript, and test scores for the SAT or ACT (sent directly from the testing agency).
Is there a deadline for assured admission?
Yes. You need to apply to WSU by the January 31 priority date to take advantage of the Assured Admission program.More about admission deadlines and dates
What if I’m not in the Top 10% of my class, or don’t have a 3.5 GPA? Can I still get into WSU?
Yes! You don’t have to have a 3.5+ GPA or top 10% class rank to get in – if you have a solid record that shows you’re well prepared to succeed at WSU, your chances of admission are good. Be sure to apply before the deadline so you can get full consideration.
Do I still have to take an SAT or ACT test?
Yes. The Washington Student Achievement Council requires standardized test scores for freshman admission to all of the state’s public universities, so you still need to take an SAT or ACT before we can admit you to the University.
Do I have to reach a minimum score on the SAT or ACT for admission?
If you meet the Top 10% or GPA requirement for assured admission, we don’t require a minimum SAT or ACT score.However, test scores still matter. For one thing, they affect scholarship consideration; doing your best on the standardized tests puts you in better position for scholarships and other financial aid.
Do I still have to complete the high school prerequisites?
Yes. The state’s standard CADRs (College Academic Distribution Requirements) still apply. We make offers of admission with the expectation that students will complete the standard high school academic core requirements before enrolling at WSU.
Does my senior year really matter if I’m assured admission?
Yes. Admission is contingent not only on completing all of the academic core courses (CADRs), but also on maintaining a solid academic performance through to graduation. Additionally, we expect students to take a meaningful academic course load their senior year; final transcripts with senior year courses are part of the standard admission requirements.
What if my GPA falls after I’ve been admitted?
Assured admission assumes you’ll keep your grades or class ranking at the 3.5 GPA/top 10% level through graduation.If you think you’ll have difficulty keeping up your academic performance, please contact the WSU Office of Admissions immediately. We’ll offer help where we can, and may be able to consider extenuating circumstances on an individual basis.
Do home-school GPAs count?
Because there can be great variability in how grades are awarded, we evaluate applications that include home-school work on a case-by-case basis, rather than strictly by GPA. More about home-school admission
. Does this program apply to all WSU campuses?
Yes. Assured admission is available at all WSU campuses that admit freshmen (Pullman, Tri-Cities, and Vancouver).

Transfer students, adult first-time students, students with families

If you went to another college before WSU, if you’re older than the traditional college age, if you’re married or have children — in short, if you’re not the traditional 18-year-old freshman — this section is for you.

Can I see how my credits will transfer before I apply?
Yes. You can see the WSU equivalents of individual transfer courses using our transfer equivalency website.
How will Running Start, AP, or IB credit from high school transfer?
Information on AP and IB credit awarded by WSU can be found on the AP & IB info page. Be sure to have official copies of your AP or IB exam scores sent to the Office of Admissions for credit evaluation.Since Running Start is college-level work, simply have the college that offered your classes send a transcript to WSU.
Should I earn an associate degree before transferring to WSU?
There’s no simple yes or no answer, unfortunately…but there are two main factors to consider before you decide to pursue an associate degree for transfer purposes. Talk with a transfer advisor at your current college and your major department at WSU before you decide which route to pursue.

  1. An associate degree is not required for transfer admission to WSU (but it can have some advantages). Your transfer credits can be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and applied toward similar requirements at WSU. However, obtaining an associate degree does have some advantages:
    • WSU offers a scholarship that is available only to transfer students with an associate degree from a Washington community college.
    • An associate degree will generally fulfill the lower-division general education requirements (you may need to meet additional certification requirements to begin taking courses in certain majors).
  2. Consider your intended major. For most of WSU’s programs, earning a transferable associate degree before transferring is a good strategy.If you incorporate specific courses to match WSU’s prerequisites into your Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) associate degree or Associate of Science Transfer (AST) degree, an associate degree can help ensure that you’re ready to start taking courses in your major when you arrive at WSU. If you intend to major in science or engineering, it’s generally in your best interest to pursue the AST degree due to the large number of mathematics and science courses required as prerequisites for upper-division courses.In some cases it is in your best interest not to pursue a two-year degree before transferring. If the program you’re planning to join has a large number of specific course requirements, you’re probably better off with a course-by-course strategy instead.For a few of WSU’s programs, such as architecture, lower-division courses are not available at community colleges, and it is best to enter WSU as soon as possible.
I’m transferring from a four-year college. What should I know?
If you’re transferring from a four-year college or university (and haven’t earned an associate degree), your credits will be evaluated for transfer on a course-by-course basis.Credits earned at other regionally accredited colleges (both four-year and two-year) are evaluated for transfer on the basis of whether they are essentially equivalent in academic level and content to work offered at WSU.
Are there scholarships at WSU for transfer students?
Yes! WSU considers transfer students for a wide range of scholarships.Submit your scholarship and admission applications before the fall deadline to be considered for scholarships. Be sure to check with your prospective department for additional departmental or college-based scholarships that may be available in your field of interest. More about transfer scholarships
How can I find housing?
Transfers and older students have many options when it comes to housing. On campus, you can choose residence halls or university apartments. Off campus, there are many non-university-affiliated houses and apartments available for rent in Pullman and the surrounding area. You can also get relocation information from the Pullman Chamber of Commerce.While living on campus offers the most convenience, many off-campus options are within walking distance of WSU. In addition, you can get to campus easily from locations throughout Pullman and Moscow, Idaho, by using Pullman Transit and Wheatland Express public transportation services. Check their schedules when you arrive.
What about child care and schools?
The University offers child care services at the WSU Children’s Center, and there are many other options in the Pullman area. Resources include Whitman/Asotin County Child Care Resource and Washington State Child Care Resource.The City of Pullman provides information on public schools.

Tell us a bit about yourself so we can send you the right information. (Lighter fields are required.)


Your Plans

Full Day Visits
  • Experience WSU A series of fall and spring semester events for admitted students. Experience what it’s like to live and learn at WSU.
  • Fall Preview Oct. 14 & 28 This full day of University life introduces you to our excellent academics and includes a residence hall tour, a chance to talk with current students, and more.
  • Game Day Tours Coming to a home football game? Add a tour to your day and see what academics and athletics is all about at WSU.
  • Future Cougars of Distinction An exclusive and invitation-only program for freshmen that provides top scholars an opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes overview of WSU.
  • Future Cougars Embracing Diversity An opportunity for underrepresented students to see first-hand all that WSU has to offer.
  • Out-of-State Experience A spring semester event for admitted non-resident students.

Campus tours
  • Walking Tours Prospective Students, sign up for a walking campus tour.
  • Group Tours Teachers, Counselors, and Professionals, plan a visit for your class or student group.

Find the right application for you below.

  • Freshman Use this application if you anticipate graduating from high school this academic year.
  • Transfer Use this application if you have attended college since graduating from high school.
  • Scholarships Make sure to apply for scholarships along with your admission application.
  • International Use this application if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America.
  • Returning Student If you previously enrolled at any WSU campus, and have been away for more than one semester, use this application to reapply for admission.
  • Non-Degree Use this application if you don’t intend to complete a degree at WSU and will be taking courses for personal enrichment, transfer to another college, or a teaching endorsement.
  • Post-Degree Use the post-bachelor’s application if you’ve already earned a bachelor’s degree and want to add an additional degree or certificate.
  • Online Use this application if you want to earn a WSU degree online.  See the list of degrees offered online.

Not sure? Find out more about our different applications.

Click here to see important deadlines.

Go to our chat page to live chat.

Washington State University