Residency Requirements

As a state public university, Washington State University has different tuition rates for state residents and non-residents. State law sets the rules governing who qualifies as a resident for tuition-paying purposes.

How to know if you qualify for resident tuition

Generally speaking, if you and your family live permanently in Washington state and have been living in-state for at least the last year, you're considered a resident for tuition purposes.

WSU will let you know whether or not you qualify for resident tuition in your admission materials.

How to establish residency for tuition-paying purposes

To apply for residency status, you'll need to complete a form and provide some verification; see the WSU Registrar's Office residency page for more information on the state's criteria and for the forms you need.

If you're not sure whether you should apply for residency status, or if you have questions about the verification process, contact the WSU Registrar's Office at 509-335-5346.

Native American students

Members of any federally recognized American Indian tribe whose customary and tribal boundaries include portions of Washington are eligible for resident tuition under certain circumstances, as provided by RCW 28B.15.0131.

If you have any questions, please call the WSU tribal liaison at 509-335-8618.

Graduate students

Special residency criteria apply to graduate students who have teaching or research assistantships. If you'll be moving into Washington to attend graduate school, contact your academic department (or the registrar's office) for information on residency procedures.

Note: This is a guide to the admission process, not a statement of policy. See the WSU General Catalog for official requirements and regulations.