Freshman & Running Start
Admission requirements and how to apply
You're considered a freshman for admission purposes if:
- You're applying to WSU for the academic year immediately after graduating from high school (Running Start students are considered freshmen for admission purposes).
- You haven't attended college since high school graduation and are under 25.
If you'll be 25 years or older on your first day of classes at WSU and have less than a full year of college work to transfer, you should apply as an adult student.
The state of Washington maintains a set of academic core requirements (the College Academic Distribution Requirements, or CADRs) that all students have to meet to qualify for college admission.
High school core requirements
More information on courses that meet admission requirements is available from the Washington Student Achievement Council.
How to apply
The admission process involves two basic steps: submitting applications and sending transcripts and test scores.
Letters of recommendation are not required, nor is the personal statement. If we need additional information to make an admission decision we'll request it.
1. Fill out the application (and do it early!)
Admission to WSU is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications completed by the priority application date of January 31 will receive first consideration.
To make sure you receive the highest possible amount of financial help, submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by February 15.
Note: If you choose to attend a different semester than the one indicated on your application, you'll need to re-apply.
2. Provide your transcripts and test scores.
- Have your high school send your official transcripts to WSU.
- If you have college credit through Running Start or a similar program, ask the college to send a transcript to WSU.
- Have your SAT or ACT scores sent to WSU.
Transcripts and test scores must be mailed (not emailed) directly from the college or testing agency to WSU.
Mailing address:Washington State UniversityOffice of Admissions370 Lighty Student Services Bldg.PO Box 641067Pullman, WA 99164-1067