- Offered as:
- Graduate program
- Learn More:
The accounting major is the largest undergraduate program in the WSU College of Business. It provides a strong base in management fundamentals, accounting information systems, and accounting practices.
- Strengths of the program
- One of only three programs in the Northwest and approximately 165 worldwide that have earned the prestigious AACSB Accounting Accreditation.
- Accounting faculty are award-winning teachers, work closely with students, and take a personal interest in their success.
- Outstanding job placement: WSU accounting graduates win positions in Big 4 international and national public accounting firms, corporations, and government agencies.
- Beta Alpha Psi is a premier student organization, providing students the opportunity to interact weekly with top-tier accounting professionals and executives.
- WSU accounting students experience exceptional success on the CPA examination, resulting in national rankings for the Department of Accounting.
- Scholarships and financial aid
A variety of state, federal, and university-sponsored programs are available to help students with educational costs.
For all students at WSU
Washington State University awards millions of dollars in financial aid and scholarships to students every year based on financial need, academic merit, or a combination of the two.
To get all the financial help WSU can provide, you'll need to do these two things:
- Complete the University's general scholarship application so you can be eligible for scholarship consideration, including departmental awards.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) so WSU can consider you for aid (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.) based on financial need. Get started here.
For students in accounting
- Student involvement: organizations and activities
Beta Alpha Psi (the Accounting Honorary Society) is a dynamic club open to all accounting students.
Beta Alpha Psi meets frequently and allows students to network with professionals who share their interests. The club hosts alumni and executive guests who share their real-world experiences and discuss technical issues, career opportunities, and special topics like ethics, liability, and job interviews.
Beta Alpha Psi also helps connects its members to internship and job opportunities, coordinates field trips to firms, and sponsors activities on campus.
- Careers and salaries
WSU accounting majors typically have job offers and accept professional positions before graduation.
Job placement of WSU master of accounting (M.Acc.) graduates is outstanding, annually approaching 100%. Graduates of the WSU accounting program also experience exceptional success on the CPA exam.
Accounting graduates have a diversity of career opportunities, and can work as auditors, consultants, and tax professionals. Accounting careers are characterized by rapid increases in salary and responsibility.
WSU accounting graduates have an extremely strong track record of obtaining career positions in public accounting firms, consulting firms, financial institutions, high tech and start-up companies, manufacturing, agribusiness, communication, government, and health care organizations.
Graduates can boost their opportunities and salary potential by attaining professional certification as a CPA (certified public accountant), CMA (certified management accounting), and CIA (certified internal auditor). With experience, accounting graduates can become chief financial officers, partners in public accounting firms, and controllers in organizations of all sizes around the world.