There are four important deadlines to keep on your students’ radar with the start of the New Year. Meeting these deadlines for the 2019-2020 academic year will benefit your students the most based on their financial aid eligibility. Help your students financially plan for next year by working hard to meet these WSU Student Financial Services (SFS) deadlines.
DEADLINE 1: January 31
- The 2019-2020 General Scholarship Application: Your students need to make sure it is completed and submitted online by January 31. This is a hard deadline with no wiggle room. The application closes at 11:59 PST and must be submitted before that time. One scholarship application can qualify your students for over 700 WSU scholarships.
- The 2019-20 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid): WSU’s priority submission date is January 31 but it should be emphasized that a student can submit a FAFSA anytime of the year for aid consideration. Meeting this priority date increases a student’s chances of being awarded the “free” aid money such as grants.
- The 2019-2020 FAFSA is online and is free to complete.
- When filing out the FAFSA, a parent(s) and student need to work together on completing the application information.
- FAFSA figures are based on 2017 tax information, and can be transferred directly by using the IRS Data Retrieval tool.
- This is a hard deadline. If a student does not meet this deadline, he/she cannot fill out the WASFA any other time of the year and could potentially miss out on free grant funds from the state of Washington to help pay for school.
- Please encourage “Dreamer” students to meet this deadline. The WASFA is a great opportunity for low-income, non-U.S. citizen students unable to file the federal FAFSA to be considered for state financial aid.
DEADLINE 1: March 15
- Submit documents when they are requested by WSU’s Student Financial Services (SFS) office.
- After the FAFSA/WASFA are submitted and received by the SFS (financial aid) office, certain students will be selected for “file review.” This is the process of verifying the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA/WASFA.
- File review is done by collecting documents such as tax return transcripts and other forms from parents and students. If your students are selected for file review, they will be sent an email requesting documents and/or forms. Please encourage them to submit requested information right away!
- The March 15 deadline serves as a date for students (and parents) to submit all requested documents. This is a critical date to meet to be sure your students receive the most aid possible for the upcoming year.
Please encourage students to know these four key deadlines and meet them as they go through their senior year. College will be here before they know it and financing their college degree should be a top priority.
SFS is ready to help guide parents and students!
Student Financial Services (SFS) is the WSU office on campus that handles and processes scholarships and financial aid for the university. Both WSU and Student Financial Services are committed to helping students and their families find workable and realistic solutions to the challenge of funding a college education. If you or your students need guidance and/or have questions, please contact them!
- Phone: 509-335-9711
- Email: email@example.com
Visit your local WSU campus and talk with them in person.