There are four important deadlines to keep on your radar with the start of the New Year and as high school graduation approaches for your students. Meeting these deadlines for the 2017-2018 academic year will give your students the most cash possible based on their financial aid eligibility. Help your students financially plan for next year by working hard to meet these WSU Student Financial Services (SFS) deadlines.
DEADLINE #1: January 31st
This first deadline is for the 2017-2018 General Scholarship Application. Your students need to make sure it is completed and submitted online by Tuesday, January 31st. This is a hard deadline with no wiggle room. The application closes at 11:59 PST and must be submitted before that time. One scholarship application can qualify your students for over 700 WSU scholarships. Please encourage your students to also purse other scholarship opportunities through their local community and by contacting WSU Academic Departments is a smart strategy as well.
To apply for the WSU General Scholarship Application, your students can follow these quick and easy instructions:
- Go to https://www.applyweb.com/wsunivss/ and create an account.
- Fill out and submit the WSU 2016-2017 Scholarship Application by January 31st.
DEADLINE #2: January 31st
This second deadline is for filing the 2017-18 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) which is done online at fafsa.gov. WSU’s Priority Submission Date is January 31st but it should be emphasized a student can submit a FAFSA anytime of the year for aid consideration. Meeting this priority date increases a student’s chances of being awarded the “free” aid money such as grants.
- The 2017-2018 FAFSA is online and is free to complete.
- When filing out the FAFSA, a parent(s) and student need to work together on completing the application information.
- FAFSA figures are based on 2015 tax information, and can be transferred directly by using the IRS Data Retrieval tool. For more information, visit the S. Department of Education Blog.
DEADLINE #3: January 31st
This third deadline is filling out the 2017-2018 WASFA* (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)
*HB-1079 and qualifying DACA students only.
- The 2016-2017 Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) is available to complete and the submission deadline is January 31st.
- This is a hard deadline. If a student does not meet this deadline, he/she cannot fill out the WASFA any other time of the year and could potentially miss out on free grant funds from the state of Washington to help pay for school.
- Please encourage “Dreamer” students to meet this deadline. The WASFA is a great opportunity for low-income, non-U.S. citizen students unable to file the federal FAFSA to be considered for state financial aid. For more information and to access the application, go to http://www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa.
DEADLINE #4: March 15th
The fourth deadline is submitting documents when they are requested by WSU’s Student Financial Services (SFS) office.
- March 15th is called the document submission deadline.
- After the FAFSA/WASFA are submitted and received by the SFS (financial aid) office, certain students will be selected for “file review.” This is the process of verifying the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA/WASFA.
- File review is done by collecting documents such as tax return transcripts and other forms from parents and students. If your students are selected for file review, they will be sent an email requesting documents and/or forms. Please encourage them to submit requested information right away!
- The March 15th deadline serves as a date for students (and parents) to submit all requested documents. This is a critical date to meet to be sure your students receive the most aid possible for the upcoming year.
Please encourage students to know these four key deadlines and meet them as they go through their senior year. College will be here before they know it and financing their college degree should be a top priority. Go Cougs!
SFS is ready to help guide parents and students!
Student Financial Services (SFS) is the WSU office on campus that handles and processes scholarships and financial aid for the university. Both WSU and Student Financial Services are committed to helping students and their families find workable and realistic solutions to the challenge of funding a college education. If you or your students need guidance and/or have questions, please contact us!