In March, Student Financial Services (SFS) began awarding scholarships to students who completed the 2016-2017 WSU General Scholarship application; however, the process of awarding scholarships is not finished. SFS will continue awarding scholarships throughout the academic year. If a student is awarded a scholarship they will be notified through their WSU e-mail account. In addition to the general scholarship application, students should visit SFS’s Outside Scholarships page. The Private Donor scholarship listing has over 100 pages of potential scholarship opportunities!
2016-2017 Financial Aid Awarding & Required Documents
Getting financial aid ready for the upcoming school year takes teamwork! Students and parents should follow these steps to ensure they are ready:
Step 1 — Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to Update Taxes!
- If students and parents haven’t updated their 2016-17 FAFSA with their 2015 tax information, SFS recommends they do so using the Data Retrieval tool to ensure the student’s financial award is correct.
- The Department of Education has a helpful blog on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. The Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to import their tax information directly from the IRS to their FAFSA.
Step 2 — Additional Information & Documents Needed-send to SFS right away (if requested)
- Students will receive an email from SFS if additional information or documentation is needed. This request will also show on the student’s myWSU To-Do List.
- Note: Not all students are asked for additional information.
- If requested, students need to complete forms and submit them at wsu.edu. The student must use their WSU Network ID and password to login.
- SFS will review the information within five business days of submission. Students should continue to check their email and myWSU account in case SFS needs additional information.
- Students must submit any additional requested documents by May 15 in order to receive priority financial aid funding.
- SFS will create an official 2016-17 financial aid award for a student when SFS has all the information requested, the documents have been reviewed, and a complete file review has been done.
Step 3 — Official Financial Aid Awards
- SFS has begun awarding students their official financial aid awards for the 2016-17 school year and will continue awarding throughout the spring and summer.
- Students will receive an email from SFS once their financial aid award is ready to review.
- Important!!! New loan borrowers (usually incoming freshmen) must complete their Entrance Counselingand Master Promissory Note at gov before students can access the funds in the fall.
Click Here for more details about the financial aid process.
Click Here to review the Financial Aid Timeline.
Follow or Contact SFS
The Student Financial Services office is happy to assist students and their families through the financial aid process. If you have a question or a concern, feel free to contact SFS Mon- Fri from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST by calling 509-335-9711 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If students or parents are visiting the Pullman campus, they can also schedule an appointment to meet with a Financial Aid advisor Mon- Fri from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. by visiting financialaid.wsu.edu.