Transfer Course Information

Course Equivalencies Information

General Information

Website Purpose

The Transfer Course Information website provides information to assist students in planning for transfer of courses to Washington State University. Transfer courses are displayed when a direct equivalency at WSU exists, if a course is similar to a WSU University Common Requirement (UCORE), if the course is a department or general elective, or if the courses are non-transferable.  Official assessment of transfer course work is done at the time an admitted applicant confirms his/her intent to enroll at WSU.

Information provided at this site should be used in conjunction with the Washington State University Catalog along with the catalog of the institution from which coursework is being transferred. This site does not certify applicability of transfer credit toward degree requirements. Students with questions regarding how a transfer equivalency applies toward a WSU degree should consult the catalog or contact their academic advisors.

The website is intended to provide the most current equivalencies established by the university, however, the database uses Effective Dates for maintenance of transfer credit rules. If an official assessment of transfer course work has been completed, an advisor may use the information for exceptions to the Academic Advisement Report for departmental equivalencies. If the course in question is UCORE or has been previously determined to be non-transferable, please contact the appropriate transfer credit evaluation team for assistance or email

Transfer Institutions and Courses

This site has two links.  The Browse Transfer Course Information selection is used if you know the WSU course you are searching for.  The Transfer Course Search selection is used if you know the transfer course and wish to view the WSU course equivalency.  

When selecting the Transfer Course Search link, you will enter search criteria including state, institution, expected entry term and subject.  This will display information regarding the transfer courses within that course subject including the course numbers found in the transfer course database. WSU's transfer course database contains commonly transferred courses from most colleges and universities throughout Washington and nearby locations.

Please note that the university is in the process of updating the transfer credit database to reflect University Common Requirements (UCORE), which has a 3-year implementation plan at WSU.  The primary focus at this time is to review schools that WSU has academic partnerships with, and WSU's feeder schools.  If you see General Education Requirements (GERs) coding on this website it is likely that this school has not or will not be reviewed and individual courses will be evaluated for UCORE after they have confirmed their admission to WSU. Transfer work for students from institutions not listed on this website will be assessed at the time of admission to WSU. For information regarding admissions or to request an application for admission click this Apply link.

Interpreting Course Equivalencies

Order of Courses

You may see course(s) that are listed more than once in the display.  This may be because they have different date ranges, or it could be a result of the three different options for building transfer credit rules in zzusis which are described below.

"One to many rules" are considered complex equivalencies and are used to define that one transfer course is equivalent to two or more WSU courses. This means that we must specify fixed units for each internal equivalent, and that the transfer grade is identified by the incoming course. For example, if there is one incoming course that equates to two WSU courses, you will need to determine how many hours the incoming course is worth and either divide in half or in some cases you may have to reach out to the WSU department to determine how many hours should be applied to each equivalency.

"Many to many rules" are considered complex equivalencies and are used to define that two or more transfer courses are equivalent to two or more WSU courses.  This means that we must specify fixed units for each internal equivalent, and that the transfer grade is identified by an incoming course.  For example, if there are three incoming courses that equate to two WSU courses, the transfer grade for the WSU internal equivalent will reflect the grade the student earned in the second and third quarter of the three quarter series.  If the lab and lecture components are identified as separate course numbers, the transfer grade(s) used will be based on the lecture portion(s) of the course(s), not the lab component.

"Many to one rules" are used to combine two or more transfer courses as equivalent to one WSU course.  For example, if two courses are required to meet one WSU course.  In these cases the transfer grade for the WSU internal equivalent will reflect the grade the student earned in the second course.

"One to one rules" are simple equivalencies which identify that one course is equivalent to the WSU course and the transfer gpa reflects each course individually.  Please note that one course cannot have two equivalencies in zzusis.

The order by which courses are evaluated include the following: UCORE, similar in content to a WSU course that is identified as UCORE (i.e. English 1xx[WRTG]), departmental equivalencies (if cross-listed course it would be identified by departmental owner), departmental electives, general electives, and non-transferable courses.

UCORE (University Common Requirement) Code

Courses that can be used toward a particular University Common Requirement are displayed with the following codes:

  • [ROOT] Roots of Contemporary Issues
  • [QUAN] Quantitative Reasoning
  • [WRTG] Written Communication
  • [COMM] Communication
  • [SSCI] Inquiry in the Social Sciences
  • [HUM] Inquiry in the Humanities
  • [ARTS] Inquiry in the Creative and Professional Arts
  • [BSCI] [PSCI] [SCI] Inquiry in the Natural Sciences
  • [DIVR] Diversity
  • [CAPS] Integrative Capstone

The Office of Admissions uses the Academic Advisement Report to list courses which satisfy University Common Requirements (UCORE), some departmental equivalents, and total transferable credits. All remaining transferable courses are granted elective hours toward graduation requirements. The appropriate departments and colleges determine the use of elective credit toward degree requirements. Students may submit course descriptions or syllabi for further review for possible UCORE credit. Course descriptions or syllabi must be in English, and must match the course prefix, course number, course title, and be from the appropriate time period of the course on the sending institutions transcript.

In many instances, students who transfer to WSU with an approved Direct Transfer Associate (DTA) degree from a regionally accredited Washington community college (or approved program outside Washington) will meet the basic lower-division UCORE. UCOREs can vary based on when post-secondary education was begun. A maximum of three, three-credit courses may be taken within the major to fulfill UCORE requirements.  All other courses must be taken outside the major.

Students who have completed at least 70 transferable quarter credit hours toward completion of an approved DTA degree may complete the Direct Transfer Associate (DTA) degree from a Washington or Oregon two-year college after their initial enrollment at WSU.  Academic Regulation 6e.

The first bachelor's degree from another regionally accredited institution is understood to fulfill all University requirements for graduation, provided that the general education curriculum and major program course patterns at the other institution approximate those at WSU. Academic Regulation 118.

Completion of lower-division UCORE will be granted to students who have completed all of the lower-division general education curriculum at another regionally accredited Washington baccalaureate institution, provided the sending institution so certifies.  Academic Regulation 6g.

Students should consult the current WSU Catalog or an academic advisor for more information regarding University Common Requirements.

Lab Credit

If a WSU course has a lab component, the transfer course must also contain a lab component in order to give the transfer course a direct equivalency.  If a WSU course has the lab component, but the transfer course does not, you may see a departmental elective instead of a direct equivalency (with a UCORE code if appropriate).  If the WSU course does not have a lab component, but the transfer course does, you may see the direct WSU equivalency plus a lab on the transfer course equivalency.

Date Ranges

The equivalency listed has been approved for this date range only. Reviews of additional date ranges may not have occurred at this time.

If you see an ending Date Range of 12/31/9999 it means that the course equivalency has been extended indefinitely and will be adjusted when either the WSU course or the transfer course equivalency changes.  This will primarily be for transfer courses that have recently been reviewed for UCORE, most Common Course Numbers, general electives and non-transferable courses.

Additional Transfer Information

Elective Credit

In general, all courses that are college-level and academic in nature are transferable. Those that do not have a direct equivalency may transfer to WSU as elective credit, shown as Elective 1xx, Elective 3xx, MATH1xx, and ENGL3xx, etc. The appropriate departments and colleges determine the use of elective credit toward degree requirements.

Departments may submit undergraduate departmental course equivalencies to the transfer credit evaluators in the Office of Admissions at the contact information listed at the end of this information.

The evaluation of the course(s) should be completed within the guidelines of the department, and in concert with the chair’s directives. Close attention should be paid to content, rigor, and application to the degree. Courses will apply to all students who complete the courses during the date range specified. The date range should coincide with the course catalogs from the other college. The date range typically covers a year time span, using the fall term as a starting point. Departments may also request that the ending date range be 12/31/9999 as described in the Date Range section above if they continually monitor changes to either the WSU course or the transfer course. Departmental requests should closely follow the format on this website.

The # signs are used as wildcards in zzusis so that every individual course number doesn't need to display.

In the example above it means that all AVA courses are non-transferable.  In the example below, the wildcards are used to indicate that any HUM course that is numbered 100 or 200 level will transfer as electives.

Limitations on Transfer of Courses or Credits

Transfer credit is not normally awarded for the following types of study or coursework: (1) courses taken at colleges or universities that are not regionally accredited, (2) non-credit courses and workshops, (3) remedial or college preparatory courses, (4) sectarian religious studies, and (5) vocational-technical courses.

University Common Requirements cannot be taken pass/fail at Washington State University. This does not apply to transfer courses.

There is not a time restriction for transfer courses for admission purposes. However, some departments may require students to update their knowledge base with current courses. Refer questions to your intended major department.

The maximum combined lower-division transfer credit allowed from regionally accredited institutions shall be 73 semester hours toward a baccalaureate degree. Ninety semester hours shall be the maximum allowed by transfer toward a 4-year degree.

Students are encouraged to complete all three quarters of a year-long sequence at the sending institution. Partial completion of a sequence does not guarantee adequate preparation for the remaining courses in the sequence at WSU.

In certain instances, credit hours will be considered when determining course equivalencies. Departments may require a minimum number of credit hours in order to fulfill a course or UCORE.

Unit of Credit

This Transfer Course Information website does not display the amount of credit awarded for transfer courses because this information can vary by institution. The WSU unit of credit is the semester hour. The change of quarter credits to semester credits does not cause a loss of credit. Students should multiply their quarter credits by .67 to obtain the equivalent semester hour credits.

Transfer GPA's

Grades received in transferable college-level courses are used in calculating an admissions transfer GPA and admissions transfer hours. Grades of “D” are transferable. The department may, however, require students to repeat “D” grades in the major field of study. Grades of “C-“or lower will be disregarded if the course is repeated and another grade is earned. Grades of “C” or above will not be accepted if repeated for credit or for raising the GPA. Transfer GPA’s are not averaged into the WSU GPA.

Common Course Numbers

The common course numbering project’s purpose is to make course transfer “between and among the 34 community and technical colleges as easy as possible for students, advisors and receiving institutions. 

Transfer course equivalencies are reflected in each institution. Courses containing an ampersand (&) are courses that use the Washington Common Course Numbering system and may not be available at all Washington community and technical colleges.

The Common Course List that is maintained by the State Board for Community & Technical Colleges includes all courses included in the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA), which are over 100-level. There is neither a common course description nor common course syllabus, however a steering committee with wide representation from community and technical college (CTC) faculty have identified specific courses across their system that they wish to label as “common courses”.

Need Assistance?


For questions or comments regarding information contained in the Transfer Course Information website, or to report problems with displayed information, send e-mail to