- Offered as:
Sport Science, or kinesiology, is the study of how human muscles and other bodily systems work, develop, and interact. The field includes studies in exercise science, anatomy, motor learning, motor control, sport psychology, motor development, health and wellness, and biomechanics.
Specialization tracks available
- Strengths of the program
- Enhance your learning through WSU's excellent facilities: gyms, pools, tracks, weight rooms, labs, and one of the nation's biggest and best student recreation centers.
- Students can teach or coach in K-12 or WSU recreation courses.
- Computer-based anatomy studies and other computer technologies are incorporated into the program.
- Get practical, hands-on experience by working with high-need groups.
- Requirements and core courses
Bachelor of science in kinesiology with a major in sports science
The sports science major incorporates the science of kinesiology; psychological and ethical aspects of sport and exercise; and plenty of hands-on experience.
Here's a sample of the core courses you'll most likely take:
Fundamentals of Movement
Analysis of Human Movement
Physiology of Exercise
Motor Skill Acquisition
Exercise Prescription and Medical Conditions
Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries
Philosophy of Human Movement
Sociology of Sport
The program also includes a practicum course, which offers several different ways to put your knowledge to use and gain real-world experience at the same time. Coaching community and university recreational teams, teaching classes at the Student Rec Center, leading fitness classes for the elderly ...the list could go on.
See the WSU Catalog and talk with an advisor about planning your courses. All students must meet requirements as outlined in the General Catalog in order to graduate.
- Scholarships and financial aid
A variety of state, federal, and university-sponsored programs are available to help students with educational costs.
For all students at WSU
Washington State University awards millions of dollars in financial aid and scholarships to students every year based on financial need, academic merit, or a combination of the two.
To get all the financial help WSU can provide, start by doing these two things:
- Complete the University's general scholarship application so you can be eligible for scholarship consideration.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) so WSU can consider you for aid (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.) based on financial need.
For students in sports science
The College of Education offers dozens of scholarships to its students. For more information about scholarships available through the College of Education, call 509-335-1738 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Careers in sport science
Career possibilities in sport science include work in recreation or sport programs for youth, the aged, or other groups. Other settings include corporate health programs, health clubs, clinical and industrial health care programs, and wellness education programs.
With additional study, students with undergraduate degrees in sport science can become physical therapists, doctors, nurses, sport psychologists, researchers, personal trainers, or chiropractors.